Friday, September 13, 2013

"If I Know You Like I Think I Do" -a poem

Happy Friday the Thirteenth, my little lovebirds. For today's post, I want to share with you a poem I wrote over a year ago. It speaks of the familiarity I felt with Nick upon first meeting him. It was as if I had known him my whole life, as if he had been there for every major event, even though for most of our lives we never even knew the other existed. This poem is about the heart overpowering the mind.

If I Know You Like I Think I Do

If you’re wearing that same old ragged sweater
The one with the frayed sleeves 
That you can hardly go a day without
Then I’m talking to you

I’m talking to you
Because, I think, out of all the faces
You’ll be the one to truly understand

I recall that day so well
I was young, my hands were small
The ice cream melted on the table while I waited
There was panic on their faces
I think you know that feeling of helplessness

I remember when
I rode the ferris wheel for the first time
The big one
The one overlooking the ocean
I finally felt free, the way the breeze danced on my skin
I imagine you being there, too, feeling oh, so free

There was that time on the dark winding road
The rain fell more rapidly than I was used to
My friends at home watching TV while my sister and I 
Held a one-car street race with the roads at their very worst
Then we were airborne
Then we weren’t, but then we were again, and
You know exactly what I’m talking about

The best of them all was the night
I was standing just close enough to the sea
The water racing towards my toes, then slowly inching back home
I felt so small, the way the world was looking at me
The only one on the shoreline
Under all of the brightest stars
You know better than anyone that this world
Holds far too much beauty for any of us to ever conceive

I’m talking to you because
I was here, and you were there, but
You were always feeling everything that I was feeling.

I hope some of you can relate, or understand and appreciate what I was trying to say through writing this. The heart brings people together in an incredible fashion. It intertwines and syncs two lives to one another. Give me some feedback, friends!
Bri

No comments:

Post a Comment