Tuesday, September 17, 2013

I Guess This is Growing Up

So, just the other day my boyfriend told me that his ex-girlfriend had just gotten engaged. Engaged? Really? That's crazy to me. What if Nick and her were still together? Does that mean that Nick would be ready to get engaged at this point in his life, too, if only because she was? Regardless, it blows my mind.
People my age are starting to get engaged and have kids, and I can't get over it. When did we all get old enough to do those things? I live with my boyfriend, take care of my own dog, and support myself. Still, I feel so young at heart. I don't feel old enough to have any real responsibilities. When did this happen to us? I remember my first crush like it just happened. I feel like I just found who I thought was my first love or just experienced what I thought to be my first heartbreak, and now I'm going to weddings and baby showers. When did we turn in to these adults that we were all dying to be?  I hate it.
The worst part about it, though, is that I'm not too far off. I can't say that I don't think about getting married. I think about it pretty frequently, and that's something I never even really had in the cards for myself. My, how we change. Not only that, but I am probably one of those people everyone else is talking about being in the next stage of my life. I do live with my boyfriend, after all. That is a pretty big commitment, and it's something most people won't do until they are quite a bit older. 
It's not that any of this is a bad thing, but it sure is a hard thing to grasp. I'm not scared to get old or anything like that, but I can't help but be a little freaked out by how quickly we're all growing up. Think about the fact that most of our parents were our age or a few years older when they had us. What? No way. There is no way I want to think about that yet. I don't know what the next few years will have in store for me. At this rate, the possibilities are limitless. All I know, is that I am so happy I have someone to love me though it all.


Xo, Bri

No comments:

Post a Comment